• Battery
  • Belt Clip
  • Drop-in Charger
  • Power Adapter
  • Lanyard
  • User Reference Manual

Review

Short Description

The Hytera AR482G is a DMR Tier II portable radio designed for use by Amateur radio operators, currently available in UHF only, and is sold by Ham Radio Outlet. The price I paid for this radio was $299 USD.

The AR486G is fully compatibe with DMR Tier II systems. The radio will operate on all popular DMR neworks, such as DMR-MARC, Brandmeister, XLX Reflectors, and every hotspot that I have tested.

First Thoughts / Receipt of Device

I was pretty excited to grab this radio once I saw it was on sale at the local HRO. I've played with a few other DMR portables, a TYT MD-2017, Radioddity RD-5R, and an Ailunce HD-1. Each one has their merits, but with the reputation of Hytera I couldn't pass up getting one of their newest offerings.

The box is rather plain, with just a cardstock sleeve bearing the Hytera branding.

Inside the box, the radio and included accessories are packed well. The battery is shipped with less than a 30% charge, as indicated on an included slip of paper, due to regulations about shipping lithium-ion batteries.

The manual included in the box is something else, however. It is printed on stock that resembles recycled paper shopping bags, with the print being small and dark. Sure, this may be an effort to be more “green”, but I’d rather download an electronic copy of the manual than have something difficult to read. As of this writing, there is no known electronic version of the manual.

Assembling the radio is as straightforward as any other portable I have used. The battery inserts with a satisfying gentle click, and can be removed by pulling the lock on the bottom in the direction indicated by the arrow. The belt clip installs by removing the two screws from the radio body, and reinstalling through the holes on the clip. Attaching the antenna is as simple as screwing it into the SMA male socket in the radio.

On the front, the radio has a full set of keys. These include 1 through 9, *, #, a green button, a red button, a solid line button, a dashed line button, and an up/down rocker.

The left side of the radio holds the PTT button, and two programmable buttons.

On top, the channel select knob is on the left, and the power/volume knob is on the right. There is gray programmable button between the channel select knob and antenna.

The right side of the radio has the accessory connector. It is similar to the Kenwood style jack, but there is a screw hole, and the jacks look closer together than you’d expect. The screw hole is a brass metal insert molded into the case, which is a nice touch.

Overall, the radio has a nice weight to it, feels solidly built, and my impression is that it should hold up quite well. Personally, the orange color does leave something to be desired. I can’t say that I will be losing it in a field any time soon, though.

Programming

Hytera provides a free copy of their CPS software and a programming cable through HRO. My cable was included with the purchase of the radio, and was placed inside the box with the rest of the included accessories by an HRO employee before time of sale. The cable is not usually included in the box, so be sure to ask for it before you leave. The CPS was a quick download from the HRO website, and included a key to register the install. It looks like the CPS is a copy of the commercial software, and the included key allows the install of the software to the computer.

The CPS is similar to any other CPS out there, albeit with a much more polished look. The interesting feature at the bottom of the CPS is a running help guide, to explain what each function is and how it works.

Operation

Powering on the radio is done from the power/volume knob on the top right of the radio. The screen lights up with the Hytera name on it, and once booted up will play a happy little confirmation beep. Selecting the channels is done with the knob on the left. Pressing the PTT button will give you a beep to let you know if you’re connected to the repeater.

The screen is a black and bright white OLED display that has good resolution and is easy to read in both dim light and sunlight.

Manual programming is a menu driven, top-down step by step process. Both Digital and Analog channels can be programmed on the fly, and they are added into the active zone on the radio. Be careful, however - adding channels manually may be easy, but they cannot be deleted without a computer. I don’t think that I would need more than 256 channels between stops at the computer, though.

Final Thoughts

Overall, I’m happy with my purchase. The radio feels like it lives up to it’s commercial heritage, and certainly gives amateurs a viable option to more expensive radios. Sure, it doesn’t have space for a million contacts and an equal amount of channels, but what it does have is some solid firmware, even more solid hardware, and a CPS that actually works. This radio feels like it’s designed for amateurs that have at least some experience using DMR, and are expecting a radio that won’t break the bank. Honestly, I feel that this radio could give other manufacturers a run for their money, and could start bringing in other offerings from more well-known brands.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below! And if you do decide to purchase an AR482G, let us all know your thoughts, too!

de Steve, KC1AWV